Discuss your equipment, settings, techniques, software, or anything else technical here.

Moderators: EDGEY, DARKSTEP Records, Fexomat

EDGEY
Likes Given: 61 times

An exercise in constrained randomness.

Post by EDGEY »

Just about every note, trigger, pitch, velocity, delay, etc randomly generated on the fly - every render would be different. Jungle automation. :phones:

Fexomat
Likes Given: 71 times

Re: An exercise in constrained randomness.

Post by Fexomat »

i love randomization plugins..
my memory on facebook today:

everything randomized by parameter LFOs :)
RUSTYNAILS
Likes Given: 1 time

Post by RUSTYNAILS »

Out of interest (showing my inexperience) how do you trigger random events in Ableton like that?

I've been playing about with some stuff using "robots" (RPA software - Blue Prism) to help make music so am really keen to play around with it a bit more if I can.
EDGEY

Post by EDGEY »

RUSTYNAILS wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:24 pm Out of interest (showing my inexperience) how do you trigger random events in Ableton like that?

I've been playing about with some stuff using "robots" (RPA software - Blue Prism) to help make music so am really keen to play around with it a bit more if I can.
There's an infinite numbers of ways to do this - in this case I used a random arpeggiator with 4 "notes" assigned to each of 4 keys - it just walks around playing 16th notes in 4 note chunks. Then applied a random LFO to velocity (I gave it some upper and lower bounds so it wouldnt be too jarrling), slight randomization to pitch on snares (about 3 semi-tones, square LFO so it applies at trigger instead of like a pitchbend - the whole "note" is one pitch instead of wobbling around), randomization on delay (switching between 32nd and 64th notes (on/off) on a randomized 1/4th note cycle, etc etc...
Fexomat
Likes Given: 71 times

Post by Fexomat »

EDGEY wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:21 pm
RUSTYNAILS wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:24 pm Out of interest (showing my inexperience) how do you trigger random events in Ableton like that?

There's an infinite numbers of ways to do this - in this case I used a random arpeggiator with 4 "notes" assigned to each of 4 keys - it just walks around playing 16th notes in 4 note chunks. Then applied a random LFO to velocity (I gave it some upper and lower bounds so it wouldnt be too jarrling), slight randomization to pitch on snares (about 3 semi-tones, square LFO so it applies at trigger instead of like a pitchbend - the whole "note" is one pitch instead of wobbling around), randomization on delay (switching between 32nd and 64th notes (on/off) on a randomized 1/4th note cycle, etc etc...
haha..love how complicated it sounds :)
another way to get random stuff in Ableton is to use the follow action thing.
just set up a row of chopped samples and tweak the follow action parameters
Screenshot 2021-08-12 at 00.37.06.png
Screenshot 2021-08-12 at 00.37.06.png (66.71 KiB) Viewed 18828 times
EDGEY

Post by EDGEY »

Oh yeah, much easier ways to accomplish general randomness - but there were additional parameters (pitch, delay, velocity, pan, etc) beyond just note triggering to give it that feeling of being "alive" and moving - and I wanted to constrain them to specific values.

Here's a clip of what I did with it, coming along nicely:

EDGEY

Post by EDGEY »

More fun with random beats.

:phones: :phones: :phones: